What is Pediatric Pelvic Health and how can it help my child?
- As a certified Pediatric Pelvic Floor Specialist, we work with you and your child to figure out why they are having problems with their bladder or bowel movements. Our primary goal is to make your child feel safe, heard, and empowered throughout their care with us.
What are some key symptoms or complaints to look out for?
- For Constipation: Look for straining, painful defecation, tummy aches, bloating, smearing in underwear, or is they are not pooping greater than 3-4x a week.
- For Urinary Frequency: Keep an eye out for consistent loss of urine without stress or strain, nighttime urination after potty training, inability to hold urine on a consistent basis, abnormal stream, or chronic UTI’s.
Is Pediatric Pelvic Health PT covered under my insurance?
- Yes, most insurances cover this type of Physical Therapy treatment.
- Some Insurance Plans might require a referral from a Pediatrician, Primary Care or Specialist, which we can help you obtain if needed.
What should I expect in a Pediatric Pelvic Health session?
- Your Physical Therapist will start by talking with you and your child about your concerns. After getting to know you and your child, and you and your child are comfortable, we perform a routine physical exam. This exam includes an anatomy and strength assessment of how the muscles in the pelvic floor, hips are core are working.
How long is an appointment?
- Each appointment can range between 40 to 60 minutes in length.
Will I be in the session with my child?
- Yes, you will be in the session the whole time.
What is the home exercise program and plan going to be like?
- Most of the time, we will talk about bowel and bladder habits and have them do a homework log of these events, much like a simple diary.
- Your child will be given a home exercise program as well, as our primary goal is to empower them with the tools needed to be successful. You will also be given these exercises to work on at home with your child, so that we are all on the same page for what is expected on the days in between therapy sessions.
What should I tell my child in preparation for an upcoming Pediatric Pelvic Health PT appointment?
- This is a question we get a lot! Please talk with your child prior to coming in, so that they are best prepared as we understand treatment around these topics can be a little intimidating at first. The reason they are coming in, is because the problems they are having are impacting their every day life, and there are real treatments that can help solve these problems! We care about your child, and are here to help.
- Please share with them that you will be with them the entire time, and that our clinic is a safe place where they are welcomed and cared for like family.
- If your child becomes uncomfortable at any time, the session will stop immediately. Your child has the control to use their voice, be empowered, and be heard by our providers every step of the way.
About how long does it take for my child to see and feel the results?
- Every child is different! It can be as easy as 1 visit in simple cases. In the most complex cases, treatment can last upwards of 10 months, it all just depends on what is involved and what your childs' unique needs are.
What are the biggest misconceptions about Pediatric Pelvic Health PT?
- "My child is just hard to potty train" - To all of the hardworking moms, dads, and family members, we are here for you and your child if this is feeling like it's getting overwhelming! We specialize in getting results, and getting you your time back.
- "They will grow out of it" - It's hard to know when to ask for help, if you have a suspicion that something isn't right, trust your intuition and schedule a Free Consultation with us today!
Every person's story and experience with their pelvic health is unique, but it does not have to be intimidating or scary to get started. We understand this at a deep level, and are passionate about providing inclusive and supportive care to every single person who comes through our doors, including your child.
We are here for you and your family, every step of the way.
Contact us to redeem a Free Consultation and begin treatment today!
CONTENT CREATED BY: Susanna Clark, DPT and Allie Poalino, DPT
Lone Peak Physical Therapy | Lone Peak Pelvic Health